Our trending flavor: kiwi
- Trending flavor
The trending flavor: kiwi
What is kiwi?
The kiwi is a tropical fruit which comes from China. This fruit is also called “yang tao” or “wild strawberry” in some countries. The fruits come from several species of lianas. The cultivation of this fruit dates back 1,200 years. In addition to being used as food, they were also used in medicine and to manufacture paper.
The kiwi became popular in New Zealand in the 1950s, and that’s when it got its current name. It is very rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, fibers and potassium. It has the advantage of being low in calories, making it the perfect healthy snack.
There are several varieties of kiwis, however most of them are recognizable with their oval or spherical shape and rough, dark brown skin. The meat is generally yellowish or light green with black seeds.
It is not difficult to grow kiwis, however choice of soil is essential. It is important to select a sunny spot with a well-drained soil rich in organic matter. Planting must be done in late winter or early spring. Kiwis need a trellis or mount to cling to as their vines can reach several meters long. Kiwis are generally cultivated using pruning and trellising to help control growth and improve fruit quality. Nowadays, the fruit is cultivated in a number of countries such as New Zealand, France, Italy, Spain and in California.
Kiwi can be found in various recipes including salads, smoothies, yoghurts, pastries and in sauces. It can be cooked in a number of ways, such as steam cooked or roasted. Kiwis are also very popular for fermentation to produce alcoholic drinks.
What are the benefits?
The kiwi is renowned for being a healthy fruit, and has many benefits including:
- Rich in vitamin C: a single kiwi has nearly the entire recommended daily vitamin C nutritional intake. Vitamin C helps strengthen immune defenses and provides energy.
- Rich in fibers: kiwis are beneficial for the intestinal transit as well as for regulating blood sugar and blood cholesterol.
- Rich in potassium: kiwis are among the fruits containing the highest amount of potassium, which plays a significant role in the prevention of muscular disorders, heart disorders linked to high blood pressure and neuronal disorders. Eating 2 or 3 of these fruits every day would be sufficient to reduce risks.
- Rich in magnesium and copper: with their micronutrients, they have a beneficial effect on muscle and bone development.
- Low in calories: the fruit has a low caloric density and high satiety properties, making it perfect for weight loss.
How are natural kiwi flavorings and wiki extracts manufactured?
To manufacture a kiwi extract, it is possible to use the meat or the fresh kiwi juice. There are several extraction methods.
The raw material, in this case the kiwi, must be prepared beforehand in order to reach the best result. The fresh kiwis must be washed, peeled and cut into pieces to remove excess moisture.
Here below is an example of kiwi extract manufacturing:
Distillation: the pieces of kiwi are placed in a container called a still. They are submitted to water vapor and alcohol. The vapor is then collected using a condenser, which is used to cool it down and turn it into a liquid.
A natural kiwi flavoring uses mainly extract, and may also contain other natural flavoring ingredients which are solely used to bring the flavoring typicality. The ratio between the quantity of extract and other substances is 95/5 (95% extract, 5% other natural flavoring agents). SNIAA
Today there are several types of extracts obtained from dried kiwifruit, powdered kiwifruit extracts, liquid extracts and concentrated kiwi extracts. Extracts can be obtained from the kiwi plant.
The profile of extracts will differ depending on the parameters and techniques used.
In which products do we find this flavor?
Kiwi is a flavor that can be found in a wide range of foods and beverages.
- Beverages: kiwi can be widely found in fruit juices, smoothies, as well as a number of soft drinks, energy drinks and lemonades.
- Confectionery: kiwi flavor can be found in a number of products such as candy, gums and chewing gum.
- Desserts: it can also be found in desserts, pastries and biscuits.
- Frozen products: kiwi flavor can be found in ice cream and sherbet.
Kiwi can be combined with various flavorings and tastes. It can be combined with a number of condiments such as mint or basil, with nuts such as cashews, almonds or hazelnuts. The fruit is also perfect in combination with citrus fruits: grapefruit, lime and exotic fruits: mango, pineapple and papaya.
A few launches in 2022 and 2023:
Would you like to know more? Discuss your project with an expert?